You turned the BIG oh-1 two weeks ago (I know, mama the slacker!). Happy birthday, my love! While you didn’t get to enjoy much of the carrot cake or the cupcakes mama baked (all that sugar in addition to all that stimulation would have just been way too much), you do wear your birthday pajamas really well!
Here are some of your favourite things:
- Favourite fruit: Oranges – hands down. You get so excited that we cannot bring an unpeeled orange to you – you don’t have the patience to wait for us to peel it and then feed you. Mama thinks it’s because she had a crazy craving for orange juice when you were in her tummy
- Favourite new food (because we all know you like pretty much everything that crosses your adventurous palate): spaghetti – you are engrossed by their slipperiness and shape, blueberries and cottage cheese.
- Favourite Books: Mr. Brown can Moo, can you? (you can pick out this book amongst others when I ask for it – my baby, not just a pretty face. Oh no, no siree!), Night-night Little Pookie (you make kissing noises at the right pages – you clever little thing!), ABC by Dr. Suess (you sit through the entire thing, and it’s LONG), the Belly Button book (belly buttons are for kissing according to you. You find my belly button hilarious – actually, I find my belly hilarious but that’s another story.)
- Favourite activity: let’s see…. you enjoy being thrown up in the air, playing peek-a-boo, and LOVE being read to.
- Most challenging task: staying still… for anything! Changing your diapers and giving you a massage after your bath now resemble a wrestling match. No, you are no longer the placid baby of 6 months ago.
- Newest development: You now pull yourself onto your feet and creep along the edges of furniture, walls, anything and everything. Books on the bookshelves are for tossing off the bookshelf. As a result, our books now sit on piles on top of the bookshelves rather than on them.
- Our favourite time together: first thing in the morning. Weekend mornings are fun!
- Other funny things you do: You cannot keep your blanket on. You kick off everything and sleep with one leg pretty much 90 degrees to the rest of your body. You like to put that on top of me, just to make sure I don’t go any where. You bark when we sing “How much is that doggie in the window”, you do ten-dhen tig-tig and thungri-thungri but only when you feel like it. Cheerios engross you. You squeal with joy when I get home… it’s the best thing in my day.
All that to say, I love you my baby, you make my world. Happy birthday.